The decision to surrender your pet is a very difficult one to make, and it’s important to have all the facts before moving forward. Our goal, if possible, is to keep pets in homes! If you’re considering surrendering your pet due to financial hardship, behavior issues, or because you plan to move, check out our free pet care resources.
If you feel you’ve exhausted your resources and must surrender your pet, here are a few things to know:
- Owner surrenders are by appointment only.
- Please bring all vet records, registration papers and pet medications.
- Each appointment takes about 30-45 minutes.
- You will be asked to complete 3 forms.
- Legal ownership transfer to the Louisiana SPCA
- Information about your pet, their behavior and reason for surrender
- Consent form to be notified if your pet is not an adoption candidate. If this happens, you are given the option to re-claim your pet.
We do charge a fee for all owner surrenders. These fees are critical to help care for the animal while it’s with us. Additional fees may apply.
New Orleans Campus
- $40 if picked up by Humane Law & Rescue
- $50 if animal lives out of parish
- $10 first animal, $5 each additional. If deemed unhealthy, $20 per animal.