Due to COVID-19 social distancing requirements we are not able to safely conduct our humane education programs in-person. To inquire about virtual options please email us at email@example.com.
Humane education programs teach students how to be responsible citizens. From caring for their family pet to taking action to prevent animal suffering, students become active participants in helping animals and others. Humane education reinforces character development skills such as kindness, compassion, empathy and responsibility. Enhancing a student’s understanding that animals are living, feeling beings that need to be treated with respect and compassion is a very important lesson in empathy and respect for others.
Our Humane Education team offers field trips for both school groups and organizations. Each field trip consists of a fun and educational guided tour and provides an opportunity for children to see and interact with adoptable animals. When the field trip is over, our goal is for each student to learn more about animal welfare and how shelters act as an important part of every community.
- Tours may be scheduled 7 days a week, based on availability
- School groups may tour our facility at no charge. Donations are always welcome, and we encourage our groups to visit our wish list to view needed items.
- Tour lasts approximately 1 hour
- Tours are ideal for children in grades 2nd-12th
- Children with severe allergies to cats, dogs or peanuts should not attend
- Groups must have at least 1 adult chaperone for every 8 children present. Accompanying adults are asked to help with class management throughout the visit.
Show & Tail
Our Show and Tail program consists of a 30-60 minute presentation brought to you by our team and volunteers. Presenters will bring dogs who are behavior tested and health checked to act as demonstration dogs. If you’re school can’t accommodate an animal in your school, please let us know!
Each presentation begins with an overview of the Louisiana SPCA – who we are, what we do, and the services we provide – followed by an opportunity for students to pet and play with the dog.
Show & Tail is best done with groups of 30 students or less. Schools will be required to provide adequate supervision of students to maintain safety. We look forward to arranging a visit to your school!
Topics by grade
- Pet Ownership is ideal for Grades K-4. This topic teaches students about the time and care required to properly raise a healthy, happy pet. We include a discussion on the importance of spaying/neutering and microchipping our pets.
- Safety Around Animals is ideal for grades K-4. With this topic we discuss why animals behave the way they do, how they communicate, as well as how and when to properly approach both familiar and unfamiliar animals.
- Responsible Pit Bull Ownership is ideal for grades 5 and up. This presentation educates students on the facts of the pit bull breed, how to be a responsible owner and how to help others become ambassadors for the breed. Includes a PowerPoint presentation or video.